Wedding dress shapes & styles
Knowing where to start when looking for your dream wedding dress can be tricky!
Especially if you are creating a bespoke dress from scratch.
To help we have put together a simple guide which highlights the popular traditional wedding dress shapes/ styles.
The A-Line wedding dress shape has a fitted bodice and flares out from the waist.
- The shape of the dress gives you an ‘A’.
- Flattering on most body types making it a popular skirt silhouette.
- Very comfy with plenty of room for movement whilst making you look stunning.
- Most recommended for straight or inverted triangle figures.
Sheath Shaped Wedding Dress
This dress follows the body’s natural line and has a long slim silhouette without flare.
- Also referred to as a column shape.
- This silhouette is most popular on sleek, athletic/ straight and hourglass figure.
Ballgown Shaped Wedding Dress
The full skirt is the most recognisable trait of this shape.
- Also known as a princess dress.
- The skirt contrasts with a fitted bodice and clinched waist.
- A dramatic classic dress shape that can compliment most body types.
- Most popular for brides with boyish figures.
Mermaid Shaped Wedding Dress
This shape hugs the top half of the body tightly and flares out from the knee and below.
- Also known as a fishtail shape.
- Perfect for brides who want to show their body shape and curves.
- Most popular with hourglass figures.
Trumpet Shaped Wedding Dress
A straight-lined skirt that subtly flares from the knee.
- Skirt shape is similar to a trumpet.
- Popular with curvy Brides who are looking for a form fitting dress that is slightly easier to move in.